Monday, June 22, 2009

Buy Sunblock and Toothpaste at home!




Today, I have succumbed to buying the expensive bottle of sunblock as yesterday I had squeezed the very last of my Walmart bought bottle. Goodbye to the $6 prices that I used to go for in Walmart's vast aisle of many selections, boasting impressive levels of up to 45 SPF. Instead, I have bought Carroten, guaranteed to protect your skin from the high intensity of the Mediterranean sun, and yes done so with a whopping SPF10.

Let us compare.

Fruit of Earth / Block It UP!

  • SPF 30
  • Waterproof
  • With Aloe
  • With UVA/UVB Protection
  • Made in Texas, USA
  • $6 CAD for 355 ml
Carroten Hydra Plus Suncare Milk
  • SPF 10
  • Water Resistant
  • With A+E extra moisturing ingredients, Hydra Plus
  • With UVA/UVB Protection
  • Made in Maroussi, Greece
  • 9.50 euros ($15 CAD) for 200 ml
So, the lesson to be learned here is no matter how dark or tanned you think you are (I tan easily and was surprised to get a little burn and peel here), you should bring lots of sunblock if you plan to come to Greece. While the specs I have outlined above seem comparable and the website of the Greek brand quite impressive, you will be forced to pay double the price. The same goes for my Aquafresh toothpaste which I also bought today for 1.90 euros ($3.05 CAD) for a measly 75 ml.

3 comments:

  1. if you get sunburned, i have heard from various turkish people that you can use yogurt to help relieve it!

    -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now this is interesting! Why is it that a locally made sunscreen of seemingly lower quality is more expensive than something that had to be shipped from Texas to Toronto? If we continue with this whole exploring globalization theme, one would need to ask the question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh that's awful!!! Your living expenses are pretty outrageous! And I thought Singapore was pricey for an Asian country - the currency is similar to Canadian: I just feel like I get a 20% discount off of all my purchases =) But yet, I have used up 80% of my finances =(

    ReplyDelete