Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Assignment #4-Tourist or Tempest?

It's hard for me to pick one over the other. I think that in some sense, I am still a tourist. I stop every so often to take photos of everything, even of a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice. I can never get tired of staring in admiration at all of the beautiful sites.

However, I am only a tourist when it is convenient. For example, I have cut my Metro expenses by cheating and buying the student ticket for Greek students only (half price). My plan is that if I get caught, I will pull out the tourist card and pretend I was ignorant of that fact. After all, it read "student" and I am a student!

On the other hand, if I am shopping and the salespeople or store owners make conversations with me, I tell them I am working here in Greece. I want to give them the impression that I know what I am doing and let them know that they cannot gyp me! "I live here buddy!" is the impression I try to give out, so I throw around the few Greek words that I can speak. It also works for the street vendors, when you say "Ohi Efaristo" instead of "No thank you" because then they really listen and walk away.

I have also have began to dress like the Greek ladies. I quite enjoy wearing dresses and fancy things, even if I am just going down the street to buy groceries! It makes me feel prettier to be up to par with these fashionable Greeks.

So to sum it up, I am a bit of both....I eat at both family owned restaurants and big restaurants
in the tourists districts; I dress in my North American short shorts and tank but I also dress up more frequently; I have donned myself in authentic Made in Greece leather gladiator sandals but still asked my mom to bring my stilettoes when she arrived; and I secretly took tons of pics at an exhibit that had a No-Photograph-Policy, but scowled at that tourist who touched the marbles at the New Acropolis Museum.

And now, I leave you with something interesting found in the Athens In Your Pocket Tourist Guide: (I don't know whether to laugh or to be offended since I know they are making fun of North Americans!)

"Touristas Gormless
There's a certain kind of visitor of Greece that seems to be under the impression that a brain is not essential for travel. There's no mistaking them as they mill around the shops in Plaka or the slopes of the Acropolis. Often found in flocks, they are clearly distinguishable from the native species due to the bright scarlet markings on the head shoulders and arms. They seek out pools of blazing sunlight while the residents hide in the shade, and when in large packs have a distinctive braying cry that resembles that of donkeys. Their scientific name is Touristas Gormless, and though there are many subspecies, they share the same characteristic - they are totally clueless. In their native habitat, they may be highly educated and accomplished businessmen, educators, professionals, etc, but once they are on Greek soil, a mystifying transformation takes place. The eyes glaze over as they switch to holiday mode. Their plumage changes from sombre neutral officewear to brightly coloured shorts, tanks, and in some cases, straps of fabrics. Footwear for the men are sandals with socks.
While some start off by slapping on SPF 60, after a couple of days many are down to SPF 2 or resorting to Baby Oil so as to show off their "suntan" while the locals wince at the sight of their raw, red shoulders, and rapidly peeling nose."

No comments:

Post a Comment