Tuesday, July 28, 2009

My Personal Tour with the Archaeologists of the New Acropolis Museum

Being granted this internship in Athens, Greece has been a big blessing. Currently completing my MA in Art History, I am required to write a MRP (Major Research Paper) on the topic of my choice. Being that my interests varied greatly (from Ancient Civilizations to Early Modern Europe) it was hard for me to narrow down what my topic would be. When I was notified in April that I was going to Greece, I decided to take advantage of this. I decided then that I would write my MRP on a topic regarding Ancient Greece and Museology.

In my preliminary research, I came across the topic of Ambience and Museum Stewardship. The question I ask is, What is more important? Preserving the original intent and purpose of onsite works (such as the Parthenon Marbles) and thus maintaining its ambience, or the preservation and conservation of these ancient sculptures via Museum Stewardship? My goal was to do a fair amount of research whilst I was here by observing the original site, making frequent visits to the New Museum Acropolis, getting a personal tour of the Old Museum to compare the space, and getting interviews with the key figures from the New Museum.

Since July 6, I have tried getting interviews with the appropriate archaeologists at the museum and after mailing Letters of Introduction, faxing, calling, and emailing, I finally spoke with two archaeologists yesterday who agreed to answer my questions. Also, arrangments were made for me to visit the Old Museum today. So this afternoon, with my sister in tow (as my secretary), we were given a personal tour of the Old Museum by two archaeologists and one exacavator. This was an amazing opportunity because I was able to get in and compare the space with the New Museum. Although, nothing remains in the Old Museum, I was able to make out from the outlines on the wall where certain artefacts and sculptures were once affixed.

My time here in Athens was truly amazing and I am proud to say that I didn't just party and sunbathe on the beach after work. For a whole month, before my family arrived, I made daily trips to the New Museum and/or the library. There, I stayed for hours on end researching and writing my paper ( I now have 30 out of the 50 pages done!) My unlimited access to the prestigious library at the American School of Classical Studies in Athens (the best facility in Ancient Greek Studies) was also a bonus.

Now I am ready for my mini 2 days vacation on Santorini Island......aaaaahhhh

1 comment:

  1. That sounds fantastic! It must be amazing to be surrounded and absorbed in your field, and the chance to do actual research and see the artefacts in the field and in the museum must be incredible. I have a soft spot for ancient history, and I think what you are doing is fantastic. Good luck with your MRP!

    I spent two weeks in Greece when I was 13, and it was one of my favourite places in the world. Unfortunately I didn't get to see Athens or any ruins, so I missed a lot. I hope the rest of your internship is fantastic! I will keep reading !

    ~Lauren Crawshaw

    ReplyDelete