Thursday, July 16, 2009

Sisterly Shenanigans -Site Seeing in and around Athens

ME AT THE TEMPLE OF OLYMPIAN ZEUS.
SHOPPING ON ERMOU STREET, THE SHOPPING DISTRICT.

POSING AT THE ERECHTHEUM TEMPLE.

MY SISTER, SARAH

ME AT HADRIAN'S LIBRARY

ME AT THE THEATRE OF DIONYSUS

SARE BEAR AND I AT THE PARTHENON

ME STANDING AT THE ODEON OF HERODES ATTICUS, WITH VIEW OF THE PARTHENON.


Since my sister has arrived to Athens this past weekend, I have upped the ante on my site-seeing and living the Med life. On Monday, we visited the Acropolis, Hadrian's Arch, Theatre of Dionysus, and Temple of Zeus. On Tuesday, we visited the Temple of Hephaistos, the Ancient Agora, the Agora Museum, and Hadrian's Library. On Wednesday, we visited the National Archaeological Museum and saw an orchestra concert at the Odeon of Herodes Atticus (2nd c. AD theatre). It has been so much fun taking in the history and culture of Greece as grown ups and we laugh when we think back to the photos of us as kids with the bored looks on our face. Now, we actually appreciate what we are seeing and we can actually understand the vivid stories that are associated with these ancient ruins.

I also can't deny that I love my sister's enthusiasm for taking photos, sometimes dramatic (like when she pretended to be in a drama play at the Theatre of Dionysus before being yelled at by the strict guards who said 'No posing!') or her directions to me about posing beautifully with the columns and ruins 'Lou! Think water nymph..show me your glory...bask in the sunlight!" LOL...Yes, we have this joke that we are at a photoshoot amidst these ancient ruins. It's quite fun being with my older sis, being silly, and enjoying all of the sites all over again. Since she has been here for four days, we have also eaten out a lot at traditional Greek tavernas.

Tomorrow, we are going to Sounion to see the Temple of Poseidon, which sits on the edge of the cliff overlooking the sea. On Saturday, we are visiting Sparta and Mystras. But for now, I will leave you with some pics from the Athens site-seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment